Robin Hood back to winning ways


By Matt Wright

Leeds and District cup day for us away at Yorkshire Amateur League heavyweights Alwoodley. Going into the game we welcomed back Chris Coupe and James Finlayson to the squad with Harold the helicopter returning from League Rep duty.

We changed our shape and personnel slightly due to the individuals we had available and to suit the conditions. We started the game very brightly with Declan Parker seeing a lot of the ball, looking for forward passes to the lively duo of Jamie Lister and Danny Bridges. Corey Eaton and Paul Mitchell, like last week, were causing issues for the Alwoodley Defence with some finely timed runs into the Alwoodley back four. For the opening 20 minutes, we found ourselves camped in the Alwoodley half, utilising the ball well only to not really put the final touches on some strong attacking moves. Our first opportunity dropped to Jamie Lister who’s strike was a sign of things to come in the next few minutes. Lewis Richardson who again was having a strong game played a very good ball down the to where Danny Bridges showed some fantastic awareness to back heel it into the path of Jamie Lister who powered home to make it 1-0 and we were well worth the lead.

Disaster though as straight from the kick off the Alwoodley players forced a corner, which in truth could have been pulled back for a push on Chris Brown. From the resulting corner, Paul Mitchell glanced the ball on his near post into our goal leaving Alex no chance. Totally against the run of play, underserved but a real show of character needed now. We pushed for the second goal prior to half time but all our efforts were well saved by the Alwoodley number 1. Corey was beginning to make inroads down the right-hand side and the Alwoodley number 7 had taken particular offense to this as he recklessly kicked out off the ball, a red card in its own right but only yellow given….welcome to the game Senior Eaton who gave the number 7 a kind reminder of his thoughts. After 40 minutes another setback as Declan left the field with an ankle injury and Bulby pulling up with a hamstring strain. Luka and Rich came on to replace and settled into the game quickly.

We restricted Alwoodley to long balls and the front men were dealing with scraps as Browny, Harold and Lewis did a number on them. . they were good players though so we had to be careful.

At half time we spoke about stepping up the tempo as we felt it was a tempo they couldn’t really compete with, and straight after the KO we scored within 20 seconds. The ball was worked well through the middle with Corey found on the edge of the box, a great run round from dale who was played in crossed the ball to be bundled home by Rich Coupe with a slight hint of an OG. (don’t ask Parks for his version of the goal as he wasn’t looking)

2-1 and back to probably how the game should reflect.

Corey again was looking strong down the right as he continued to give the lively Jamie Lister and Danny Bridges good service. We had the chance to treble our goal tally with a series of good chances, Ligger from a free kick and then form a 1v1 that somehow was kept out. Alwoodley began to pump it more and more as we were getting deeper and deeper. Browny superbly kept a ball out on the line before Corey did the exact same that maintained our lead. The conditions with the wind and rain were contributing in making this a dog fight, but late on James Finlayson who replaced the industrious Chris Coupe helped settle things as he was through on goal only to be brought down… penalty. Ligger stepped up to settle the game and a passage to the ¼ finals where we will play Whitkirk at home.

MOM went to Corey for another tremendous game as he adapts well to first-team football, but everyone put a solid shift in, in what was difficult conditions on a heavy field.

A solid win and despite a game we thanked Browny and Corey on the line, a game we fully deserved to win. We wish Alwoodley well and hope they push on in their respective league.

Next up for Robin Hood is a home fixture against Shelley in the West Yorkshire League.